If you are one of the paddle board surfing enthusiasts, then you may have felt that sometimes it becomes quite tiresome for you to transport your paddle boards from one place to another. This issue is fairly difficult for those people who like to use a solid board for surfing, yoga, or fishing. The best option for safe and secure transportation is by opting for a paddle board roof rack or a paddle board tie-down device. In this article, you will go through some of the best options available on the market to help you find the best paddle board roof rack for transporting your boards.
This rack is a leading locking stand up paddle board carrier, which is convenient to use, due to its universal mounting design. This carrier uses a stacked board configuration to secure the paddle boards on two main assemblies fixed upon load bars, which are then attached to the vehicle. The Thule 810 Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Taxi is quite easy to mount as no tools are required to assemble it on the car.
This rack is compatible with the Thule base roof rack system (square, elliptical Rapid Aero bars, Xsporter truck rack bars etc.) or virtually with any factory rack system available for any type of vehicle. The two main assemblies of this rack use an integrated Speed-Link universal mounting system, which allows the user to simply clamp the assemblies onto the load bars. The lower pads of this rack are designed in such a way that they can slide away from their center to accommodate boards of up to 34” wide. The Thule 810 Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Taxi is currently available at a discounted price of $206.95.
- Speed-Link mounting system that doesn’t require tools.
- Telescopic design of the assemblies allows storage of boards for up to 34” wide.
- Steel reinforced webbing and a spring-loaded locking device for securing the boards.
- Soft weatherproof padding to protect the board from unwanted wear and tear.
- Maximum weight bearing capacity of 165 lbs.
- Two way locking functionality with a four lock cylinder and matching keys.
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- Some of the people who reviewed this product had some complaints about the protective pads, which have a tendency to pop out of the saddle when sliding the boards into the assemblies.
This rack system eliminates the fear of theft since two levels of security are provided with this rack. This unit comes fitted with a four lock cylinder and matching keys which are used to secure the boards to the carrier and to lock the control knob of the Speed-Link mounting clamps. This feature is worth the high price.
This foam kit rack has the capacity to store up to two paddle boards. It is an economical system, which is fairly compatible with all vehicles irrespective of whether they have cross bars or not. It is relatively easy to install and can be used for transporting two paddle boards at a time. The foam blocks provided in this kit keep the boards safe from dents and abrasions, while protecting the surface of the vehicle. These oversized rooftop blocks can be used for storing any size surfboard. Each foam block comes with a non-slip TPR bottom which won’t damage the surface of the roof. The Malone Auto Racks Deluxe SUP Two Board Deluxe Foam Kit is currently available at a discounted price of $ 71.95.
- The board comes with a high capacity, 24 inch profiled foam block for storing any type of surfboard.
- Can be installed on any type of vehicle.
- Comes with two 22” foam spacers in order to stack two surfboards.
- All the required blocks and load straps are provided in the package.
- Some of the people who reviewed this product felt that the rack needs to be fastened tightly, in order to secure the boards.
The Malone Auto Racks Deluxe SUP Two Board Deluxe Foam Kit is rather affordable and offers an easy way to carry two paddle boards at the same time. They are very easy to store, when not in use, and you can even carry them in your duffel bag if you are planning to visit a surfing destination.
This rack offers a nose and tail tie-down system for storing paddle boards on the roof of the vehicle. This racking system is compatible for all types of surf and paddles boards. The exclusive SUP Brah System provides extra support for longer boards and keeps them stable even while on the move. The Yakima S.U.P. Brah Stand Up Paddleboard Tie-Down System is currently available at a discounted price of $29.04.
- Provides extra security, irrespective of the size of the paddle board.
- Compatible with most surf and paddle boards.
- Comes with a choice of choosing the lockable Yakima RipCords or heavy duty straps.
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
- The straps of this tie-down system require frequent adjustments, as it tends to loosen itself after some time.
The Yakima S.U.P. Brah Stand Up Paddleboard Tie-Down System is a good product at a very low price and it is quite simple to use. You can easily store it into your car when not in use. This tie down system is a good choice for people who do not want to shell out large amounts of money to buy a rack system to transport their paddle boards.
This soft rack comes with a patented Curve Lockdown system, which helps the single loop of the strap to conceal the paddle boards and securely store them for transportation. This patented design ensures that the surfboards don’t damage the surface of the vehicle while being transported. The foam padding in this rack protects the surface of the vehicle from getting scratched with the paddle board.
The interior of the Soft Rack is lined with a neoprene cushioning to protect the board from unwanted abrasions and dents. This rack is compatible with all types of bare roofed vehicles and can also be fixed upon roofed vehicles with 2x roof rails. This rack has the capacity to store up to four short surfboards; up to three longboards, and three SUP boards. Surfboard Soft Rack LOCKDOWN Racks are currently available at discounted price of $54.95.
- They offer a secure patented LOCKDOWN with a single loop system.
- Comes with 1″ foam padding to act as a cushion between the paddle board and the roof of the vehicle.
- Comes with an inner neoprene lining for protecting the paddle board.
- Can be connected through the doors or via the roof rails.
- Compatible with all roofed vehicles.
- Some of the people who reviewed this product felt that setting up this soft rack is slightly complicated.
The Surfboard Soft Rack LOCKDOWN Racks are designed somewhat differently from other soft racks which make them rather complicated to install. This product is recommended for those people who have prior experience with using a standard soft surfboard storage rack. The first installation may take some time but it becomes easier once you become familiar with setting it up.
If you go through all of the features of the board storing systems discussed above, then the Thule 810 Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP) Taxi is the number one choice for you, as it allows the transportation of multiple boards at the same time. This storage system is compatible with all types of vehicles and you do not require any type of tools to install it.
If you require a cheaper storage rack, then you should opt for the Malone Auto Racks Deluxe SUP Two Board Deluxe Foam Kit, which can be used for transporting a couple boards at a time.
If you have some experience in using a standard soft surfboard storage rack, then you can also select the Surfboard Soft Rack LOCKDOWN Racks, as they are the cheapest option currently available on the market for transporting multiple boards.